GOLDEN JUBILEE

Its so amazing how the years had passed and today all these remote thoughts surfaced through my subconcious to reveal a reality. 1958,my first year at primary school,Sub A or grade 1 as its known today.What was expected of a six year old? , ten siblings and tenth in line in this large family. It was really an era of not being seen nor heard.All that was expected was to know schoolwork. How I hated holidays? for not only did the younger ones have to sleep on the floor ,as our rooms were invaded with UPCOUNTRY VISITORS, also not being able to sit and converse with the aunts or uncles, WE dared not parttake in adult conversations we were only called in to recite a recitation, at the expense of, I suppose SEEMINGLY PROUD PARENTS,giggling siblings and sneering aunts. The blushing just wouldnt stop then for I was always the target being the only one of the siblings in an English class, the visitors with limited english mainly from the karoo,UPInGTON OR BEAUFORT WEST. Strange how the elder ones knew how to sidestep this tyrany.Anyway if I tried to cry, as a wayout, it merely earned me a good spanking.Neverless I feared oral periods throughout my schooling days. Being the quiet one that rarely talked, I mainly lived in a world of my own but many times had to take the rap for things I never done.THUS born between two brothers made it extra difficult, for I loved them dearly and were normally known to be as mischievious as they.Those were real fun days. Its the end of term, the last day of school, either end November or early December. I had just turned six ,having had a birthday in November.The class party was this day and four of us, at this school, in my family had to contribute towards the party.It was either a bowl of jelly or what could be given.My heart was so heavy as there was nothing for my loveable teacher,Miss Rich,dare not have asked either. The pink roses,creeper type, were in full bloom .Not wanting to go to my first party empty handed,I picked a small bunch and wrapped it in newspaper,very popular then as giftwrap , whereas brownpaper was regarded as extra special and an expensive wrapping. I ran with an elated heart down the road to school, because of also having something towards my class party.At Blossom street, I had to wait to cross, on route to Norma Road Primary School.A hand grabbed my precious tiny bunch and bypassed me towards school.No amount of screaming at my elder brother to stop ,who merrily ran on ,worked for me, despite him being in a much higher standard. I cried and cried down that road, thinking the worst ie how my classmates were going to mock me for bringing nothing.I couldnt go home either for playing truant was not heard of then neither part of mY sub A vocabulary. Where she came from never crossed my mind but in my tracks I was stopped by a lady wanting to know, why so MANY tears, so early in the morning.It could have been about seven fortyfive ,as school started eight.In a stuttering and sobbing voice I told HER what happened.To this day that chapter of my young destiny, still comes to mind for ON that road that specific morning, that lady with the soft voice and dovelike eyes gave me an enormous bunch of flowers,smartly wrapped and even told me to enjoy my first party.dont even think that i thanked her for being so loving. MY teacher took these flowers and gave me a special HUG and kiss.She placed MY FLOWERS in the centre of the table ,laden with cakes, jellies and other luxuries. That glow in her eyes and radiant smile was treasured for years.I felt so loved. Well! I was at that primary school for another six years, thereafter,walked the same road,observed the same passersby but never, not once ,not even in my highschools days encountered my Good Samaritan.with dovelike eyes and gentle voice.So later in life this Phenomenal Encounter made me realize that Angels was already part of my life FIFTY YEARS AGO..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My RLabs Mom's Journey

SENIORS OUTING