The story that changed my life........

After a challenging life experience that was out of my control, I simply live from day to day. I have made a choice to find opportunity in my challenges and live an active quality life.

I am a stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer survivor (metastatic means my cancer has spread) in my case from my breast to my bone. It was devastating being diagnosed and being told 'you have cancer and if you make to five years, count yourself lucky'. My kids were young. I needed to survive.

I could not believe what I have heard. There is no history of cancer in my family, I have breastfed four sons and lived an active healthy life. My thoughts were: why not me? What makes me different to others?

I had to break the news to my family and one of my sons asked ' so how long have you got to live'?

My response was 'cancer is not a death sentence' and the Creator is in control therefore I am not going to stress. I went through the treatments (chemotherapy, radiation, medication) - I have lost my hair, had scars however I did not allow the disease to touch my soul or to define who I am.

Yes, it is not an easy journey and there is no escape. I chose to live the ABC, positive Attitude, I started Believing that I will get through it all by making a Choice that I will live a quality life to the end.

Prior to my cancer diagnoses I have 'existed' after the hectic treatments I started living my life. I have joined the Ommiedraai Hiking Friends, Amabele Belles Breast Cancer Dragon Boat Team and have started road running.

These days I do not count the seconds, but makes each second count. I have come to realise that it is not the YEARS in your life that matter, but the LIFE in your years.

Cancer was a wonderful wake up call. I am eleven years on the journey and cancer has taken me places - Canada, Malaysia, Indonesia, Scotland, Germany, Austria and Czech Republic. Cancer has changed my perspective in life. I appreciate sunsets ect,

I do motivational talks, I reach out and give hope. I am on the Cancervive Annual Bike Ride where we educate the rural areas of South Africa, where people have no social media and are extremely poor. This journey of reaching out is healing for me.

Never give up.

I am stronger and wiser.




Comments

momEXEC said…
Keep being the inspirational human being you are. May success and happiness follow you always.

faheema
Melanie Ross said…
What an inspiration you are to me . Your dynamic personality makes i possible for others to see thaat being diagnosed with cancer is not the end .
Thank you for the person you are , thank you for your encouraging words .
Your life is an inspiration to everyone .
So kind of you. Shukran :) I gain strength from people like you
Thank you Melanie for your kind words. So sweet of you

Popular posts from this blog

My RLabs Mom's Journey

SENIORS OUTING