Bits of Me

Hi everyone I'm Felicia and I come from Hanover Park. Generally known as an unsafe or gang-ridden community. Growing up in places like these do not always have to have a negative impact on a person's life. After completing my matric I was practically coerced into working in the retail industry. I spent 12 years working for one of South Africas biggest retail companies and I actually enjoyed it.

After my journey in the industry had ended I spent time at home raising my daughter whom at the time had just started her schooling career. It became quite boring at home at times so I started doing things to keep myself busy. I started off with driving lessons and man was that a good feeling. It wasn't even as tough as I have imagined it would be. When I eventually was able to drive and got my drivers license, man oh man what a great feeling. It was liberating and a sense of freedom at the same time. This encouraged me to challenge myself even further. I started in my kitchen with cakes and sweet treats for my family almost on a daily basis. Watching television and cooking shows tickled my interest more. When I found myself a year or two later I was baking cakes for functions. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that I would be able to do something of that caliber.

Word of mouth and probably my secret recipe has made me more popular day after day. People I didn't even know started contacting me to place orders. Wow my hobby has actually turned into a buzzing business. Running a business was never part of the plan so I actually started cutting down on taking on new orders and things. I knew I had to get myself a "proper" job paying "proper" money. It was fun while it lasted though, and until today I have people who are disappointed in me not baking anymore.

I was at home for eight years and this story here is how I kept out of trouble. Today I'm permanently employed at The City of Cape Town. So........growing up in areas and communities like these does not have to determine who or what you become.

Comments

Sadia said…

Hi what an amazing story, life is really what you make of it, well done my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

My RLabs Mom's Journey

SENIORS OUTING